Mission accomplished and a new, PR (personal record, from my running days) was achieved.
I drove 1,906.9 miles in a span of 42 hours, taking our daughter’s dog back to her in Houston, TX and turning around to come home the next day.
I put back the front seat and covered it with a sheet to keep the dog fur to a minimum. Martha decided she liked the back seat better and used the headrest of the front seat as something to lean on. She was very well behaved, but a bit “on-edge” She had some chicken nuggets and a pack of cheese crackers as a snack and that made her happy. . . and thirsty.
While in Houston, I got to spend some time with Megan and her “man” Andrew He and I bonded over cigars and fine spirits after dinner and they seem to compliment each other nicely, (Megan and Andrew, not the cigars and spirits, but come to think of it, so did they)
Having lots of time to think on a journey this long, I thought a lot. . . and listened to some old music from my iTunes library, which helped me think about 40 years ago.
I came to realize that even with the plethora of challenges I face these days, I am still blessed and fortunate. I still have my wife, who has stuck with me through good times and not so good times. We have three, grown daughters who have begun to make their own mark upon the world and each in their own way, are finding their bliss.
I have done some pretty cool things in my life and while I am now physically limited, I have many great memories.
So, with the drama behind me, here are a few more takeaways.:
- If it was not for personal injury attorneys, there would be no billboard industry from Georgia to Texas.
- There are miles and miles of rice fields along the highway in Louisiana and the only reason I recognized them as they are flooded this time of the year. They just go on and on and on. I decided to do a little research and found this article: Where is Rice Grown?
- The unofficial speed limit on Interstate 10 (12) in Louisiana and Texas is 85mph. If you are driving that speed limit, you better be in the right-hand lane so cars can pass you without running you off the road.
- The designation “fast” needs to be removed from several “fast food” stops I made.
- BTO’s “Not Fragile” is a damn good album and I listened to it several times along the way.
- It’s amazing what a dad will do for his daughter.
- If you are lucky enough to have a good dog in your life, well, you are lucky enough.